Instructions to Avoid Unnecessary Breakage of Appliances
- Biting into hard objects such as pencils, pens, etc. is the single most damaging habit.
- Avoid putting fingers into the mouth for either nail biting or playing with appliances.
- Sticky foods such as toffee, caramels, chewing gum, licorice, jelly beans, jube-jubes should be eliminated from the diet.
- Meat should be cut from the bone, not eaten off of the bone.
- Corn should be cut from the cob, not eaten from the cob.
- Ice cubes or nuts should not be cracked with teeth.
- Cut apples into quarters and carrots into sticks. Avoid biting into whole fruit or vegetables.
- Hard rolls and buns should be broken up before eating. Leave outer crust of pizza.
- Pits should be removed from fruits such as peaches and plums before eating.
Bands do not fall off - they become dislodged and loosened by lack of attention to the above details. Loose bands will permanently mark the teeth if not repaired promptly. Please contact our office if you notice a loose band so we can repair it and avoid permanent damage to your teeth, or delay your Orthodontic treatment.